PREP: 15 Mins
COOK: 2 Hrs
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 kg Beef Mince
- 1 Can Pinto Beans
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 150g Corn kernels
- 1 Diced brown onion
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Lane's Lil Spicy Sauce
- 1 Can/Stubbie of Dark Beer (We used the 'Dark Knight' Stout from Common Ground brewing)
- 1 Cup Water
- Plain yogurt/sour cream
- 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- Optional: Sliced jalapeños, coriander or sliced spring onions
- In a large heavy-bottom pot add ground beef over medium-high heat. Break mince up into large chunks and brown well on one side (This browning is essential to a great flavoured chili)
- When the beef begins to brown, add onion and cook until onions begin to go translucent.
- When no pink remains, Add chili powders, cumin, paprika and salt. Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices become fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze pot with the can of beer, combine well.
- Stir in tomatoes, Lil spicy sauce, corn, beans and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add some water at the 1 hour mark to slow the reduction. keep doing this until a desirable consistency. Try not add any water during the last 15-20 mins.
- After the chili flavour has had a chance to develop, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with a spoonfull of sour cream, grated cheese and some green stuff if you like.
- Chili is great straight away or frozen and reheated for a quick hearty meal.
For instructions on the jalapeño cornbread see our 'easy as' cornbread recipe and simply add diced 2-3 Diced jalapeños