PREP: 10 min
COOK: 20 min
This is a great standalone recipe for corn bread but, you can also use it as a base recipe to create flavoured versions. Maple syrup! Jalapeño! Bacon Cheddar! Maple Bacon Jalapeño Cheddar! So many great options.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Polenta
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 200c
- Grease a large pan or skillet
- Mix flour, polenta, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add the butter, milk, and egg. Combine the mixture should have the same consistancy as a cake batter.
- Pour the mixture into the pan/skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is a deep golden brown and test with a probe or knife. (if comes out clean its done.)
- Cornbread can dry our really quickly so its usually better to remove it when there is a few little crumbs of moist cake clinging to the knife rather than completely clean.
- Serve warm as a side. If you like, a little maple syrup blended into butter will really set this off.