MAKES: 6 Sandwiches
PREP: 15 min
COOK: 1 hr
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1x 600g Pork Belly
- Lane's Q-Nami Rub
- Rock Salt
- White vinegar
- Caster Sugar
- 1x Bunch Coriander
- 1x Large Carrot
- 1x Lebanese Cucumber
- Thai Chilli
- Maggi liquid seasoning
- 6x Long Rolls
- Prepare the pork belly the night before by removing from the bag and pat dry.
- Using a corn cob holder or anything with a sharp spike, peirce alot of holes in the skin. This is the secret to great crackling so take the time here and ensure good coverage across the whole skin
- Flip over and deeply score the bottom of the belly in a checker pattern then moderately coat with Lane's Q-Nami ensuring coverage in all the nooks and crannies.
- Create a foil 'boat' around the belly and cover the skin with a good layer of rock salt
- Place the belly uncovered in the fridge overnight.
- When you're ready to cook remove the belly from the fridge and allow to come up to room temp.
- Create your pickle mix by combining 1:1 white vinegar and water add a tablespoon of caster sugar and stir until clear.
- Add sliced cucumber and carrot to the mix and put aside.
- PreHeat your oven as hot as it can go 220-250c is good.
- Remove the belly and remove all salt and collected moisture.
- Pat dry and brush with white vinegar.
- Place in the oven on high heat for 20/30mins
- After 20/30mins turn the heat down to 160c and cook until the pork reaches 62c internal temp.
- Check the crackle, it should be rigid to the touch and make a nice 'knock' when tapped.
- if the crackle hasn't formed completely, set your grill to 200c and place the belly on the bottom shelf of your oven.
- Keep an eye on it over the the space of about 5/10 mins it will burn quickly so when a good crackle has formed remove immediately.
- Place the rolls in the oven to create a nice crust outside.
- Slice a roll along the side and spread a layer of Pâté then mayonnaise
- Cut a long slice of belly being careful to keep the crackle in-tact. (Tip: flip crackle side down and press down with a long knife)
- place on your pork belly slice, add fresh sliced chilli, coriander and your pickled veg.
- Finish with a light sprinkle of Maggi liquid seasoning
- Eat immediately and don't worry about all the crusty crumbs on your shirt/beard, that's half the fun.