Chilli Lime Chicken Tacos
Chilli and lime... two staple taco ingredients that work wonders on grilled chicken. Tacos are like a blank canvas, there's endless variations on flavours with plenty of room for experimenting. When it comes to the tortilla, corn or flour... each to their own but we prefer the flour variety.
Here we've grilled the chilli and lime seasoned chicken thighs over charcoal, mixed up some red slaw, added more lime and chilli and finished off with a good helping of fresh jalapeno mayo.
- 4 Skinless chicken thighs
- Lane's BBQ Chilli Lime Seasoning
- 6 Tortillas
- Jalapeno mayo
- 1/2 Small red cabbage
- 1 Red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
For the jalapeno mayo
- 2 Jalapenos, deseeded
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Lightly brush the chicken thighs with mayonnaise and apply the Chilli Lime Seasoning. Do so a couple of hours ahead of time to allow the salt to penetrate the meat, increasing flavour and helping to the keep the chicken juicy. The mayo will help the rub stick to the chicken.
- For the jalapeno mayo, add the chillies and garlic to a high powered blender and blitz for a few seconds. Scrape down the sides and repeat. You're after very small bits but not a puree.
- Transfer the jalapeno garlic mix to a container and add the salt, sugar, vinegar and mix well. Add the mayo and mix through until well combined.*
- Thinly slice the red cabbage, de-seed and chop the red chillies and mix well along with the lime juice.
- Fire up your barbecue for hot, direct grilling.
- Add the thighs to your BBQ and cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165f/74c. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Lightly toast the tortillas, add the red slaw, followed by the chicken and coriander. Top with the jalapeno mayo, Tabasco and lime.
*This will make a lot more than you need. Keep it in the fridge and try it with something else.
Recipe and photos by Messy Benches. Visit www.messybenches.com