PREP: 45 min
COOK: 10 mins
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 250g Premium beef mince
- ~6 rashers of bacon
- 6 slices of american style cheese
- Lane's Signature Rub
- Lane's Kinda Sweet
- 1L Beef Stock
- 1 white/brown onion
- Sliced pickles (Bread and butter is our pick)
- Sesame seeds
- Tbsp Cornflour
- 250g of diced smoked brisket
(Check out out 'Killer Brisket' Instructional)
- 6 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry
- 2/3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Pie maker or large muffin tray
- Cut onion in half roughly chop one half, finely dice the other half.
- place the finely diced onions in a bowl of cool water (this is better don the day before but just before the cook is fine)
- Saute the onions in a large pan on medium high heat, until translucent.
- Add beef mince and a good covering of lanes signature (probably around 1-2 Tbsp) cook until nicely browned.
- Add the beef stock gradually while stirring to deglaze the pan.
- Add the brisket, reduce heat to a simmer and leave to reduce for 20 mins
- Grill/fry your bacon, you want it nicely browned but still soft enough to bite through cleanly.
- After 20 mins add cornflour to the pie filling to thicken into a gravy consistency, add more liquid/cornflour if needed.
- Once the desired consistency is reached remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Prepare the pastry, (Puff pastry top, short crust bottom) most pie makers come with a cutter sized for top and bottom. if you're using a muffin tray, you'll probably have to experiment with sizes to get it right. A large coffee cup and a small (kids size) bowl would probably be around about right.
- place the larger sized (short crust) pastry inside the tray/pie maker and fill 3/4 with pie filling.
- add a few sections of bacon, a slice of american cheese, two pickles, and a pinch of diced onions.
- Drizzle with a little Lane's Kinda Sweet and place on the pastry top (puff)
- sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top and close the pie maker.
- If you're using a muffin tray, bake at 180c until golden brown (a little egg or milk wash across the tops helps too)
- Remove from the pie maker/oven and let cool for 5/10 mins
- Enjoy immediately or, Wrap and freeze individual pies for a quick easy meal.