- 1 beef shin between 2.5-3kgs
- 4L distilled water
- 3 tsp Prague powder #1
- 1/2 cup kosher or pretzel salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbs coriander seeds
- 2 tbs black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4L cold distilled water
- Lane’s BBQ Ancho Espresso Rub
- Trim all of the hard fat and silver skin off the shin.
- Place the beef shin in an air tight container.
- Pour your cooled brine over the top of the shin and put the lid on. Place in the fridge for 6 days.
- After day 6, drain the brine and wash the shin. Place in another 4 litres of cool water and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain the water, patting it dry, and then season with an even coating of Ancho Espresso.
- Place on the smoker at your desired temp, and wrap when the bark has set to meat.
- Take off the smoker to rest after the shin probs softly with zero resistance (usually over 100c)
- Once the shin is cooler slightly to touch, pull it with your hands (but be sure to wear gloves so you don’t burn yourself!)
Check out this recipe on our YouTube channel!
Loved making this recipe? We would love to see! Upload your finished meal photos to Instagram and tag @lanesbbqau